Sunday, February 22, 2015

Bathroom Remodel: wiring finished, bit of structural engineering and a start on the drywall

Wiring is finished!:

GFCI recep. to 3 function switch to...


...bath fan with light, nightlight and vent fan:


Second GFCI recep. to switch to vanity light:


I noticed that this ceiling joist was becoming twisted and so, while I still had access to it (I am about to install ceiling drywall), I thought I'd do a bit of "structural engineering" by bolting it to the adjacent rafter section (left):


Step one: drill through both:


Run long bolt through both boards and install flat washer, lock washer and nut, tighten....slowly and carefully!:


Note that I did not pull them all the way together. I started hearing a bit of creaking and so stopped. The main goal hear was not to completely fix the warping, but to keep it from getting worse. I achieved that and also provided stability for the drywall that will soon be attached.


Speaking of drywall: here's the first couple of pieces (5/8 inch thick, water and mold resistant). Soon....sanding....fun!!!


2 comments:

  1. SO happy to see someone else is dealing with drywall..lol its quite the process. You did a great job with strengthening that joist! The tape, mud, sand is hard work! I can't wait to see the process.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers! Please share your thoughts.